Thursday, October 21, 2010

Homemade Bread




I really thought I would never buy a bread maker. The whole idea seemed very complicated and messy to be. I wondered why people made their own bread when you could just go to the store and buy a loaf for $2.99. It wasn't until our stay with friends in Scotland that I became enchanted with the whole idea of making my own bread. Our friends made fresh bread every morning and the smell was intoxicating. I saw how easy the whole process was: dump your ingredients in the pan and set the machine. It did EVERYTHING for you with literally no mess! So, of course, I headed straight to Macy's when we got home and BJ bought me a breadmaker for a steal of a price.
I know feel very "homemaker-ish" with my whole wheat bread made every 4 days or so. It is quite delicious and way cheaper than $2.99!!!! Maybe one of these days I will feel adventurous and make sunflower bread or pizza dough. For those of you who already have a bread maker at home - this is a delicious recipe.

Breadmaker Wheat Bread
Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups warm water (about 110 degrees)
1/3 cup olive oil (do not substitute with vegetable oil--use olive oil!)
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (if you wish to make white bread, substitute this for bread flour)
2 1/2 cups bread flour
'2 tbsp. and 2 tsp. white sugar
3 tsp. yeast (I used one of the packets)

Directions:

In the breadmaker pan, combine water, oil, and salt.

Add the flour on top of the liquids. Pour sugar into one corner of the breadmaker pan. Make a well (a dent) in the center of the flour and pour the yeast into it.

Set the breadmaker for a "basic" loaf (and I used the "light" crust setting), and press start. Walk away... in three hours, you'll have delicious fresh bread!

No comments:

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS